UT ISO has updated policies surrounding access to web-based interfaces to University emails. Two-factor Authentication is required when an employee or other individual providing services on behalf of the University who is working from a Remote Location accesses a web-based interface to University email. Change to be effective October 09, 2018. See Information Resources Use and Security Policy section 4.6.4.
We strongly recommend reading University Email Accounts: Getting Started guide. There are now two options for email at UT, UTmail and Office 365.
Simplified guide on Managing your Office 365 Mailbox.
UTmail is available for students, faculty and staff and is provided at no cost. Through Google Apps for Education, UTmail provides the University of Texas at Austin community with an university affiliated email address in the utexas.edu domain. Visit UTmail for more complete information and help.
- Email account on the @utexas.edu domain.
- Twice the storage of normal Gmail accounts (30+ GB), with none of the ads.
- Choose your own account name.
- Easy-to-use browser interface.
- Convenient syncing with mobile devices via app or browser.
- Information Security Office (ISO) approved Google Drive Integration with Canvas using your UTmail account.
- Google Drive
Office 365 is a Microsoft hosted messaging solution that delivers the capabilities of Microsoft Exchange as a cloud-based service. This means your email services and data will be located in data centers owned and managed by Microsoft. By utilizing this service, it removes the University’s operational burden for an on-premises hosted email service.
Office 365 is available at no cost to current University of Texas at Austin faculty, staff and students.
- 50 GB mailboxes
- Mac and PC desktop clients
- Web access via Outlook Web App (OWA)
- Mobile app access
- Optional mobile access available through ActiveSync
- Integrated address book and shared calendar through Outlook
- Secure access, security audits, service continuity, intrusion monitoring and high availability
Office 365 accounts are preferred over UTmail in the below cases:
- You require calendar or resource (rooms, etc.) sharing with colleagues on Office 365.
- You require email encryption or digital signature.
- Your data is export controlled or subject to a Technology Control Plan, Non-Disclosure Agreement or Sensitive Data Control Plan.
- Your data is specifically protected by Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act HIPAA or Federal Information Security Management Act FISMA.
- Your data is specifically protected by a contract (e.g., NSF, NIH, DOE) and prohibits the use of 3rd party services such as Google’s Gmail service.
Faculty and staff Office365 mailboxes are no longer created by Sysnet. Mailboxes are provisioned automatically by ITS.
All information and more in the links below can be found on the UT’s ServiceNow Office 365 knowledge base.